Every month at CareerPlug we celebrate one of our core values. This month’s Work Hard, Chill Out got me thinking about how important a value can be in actively shaping a healthy company culture.
Work Hard, Chill Out (a spin on the more popular saying “work hard, play hard”) is backed up by its subline: “make individual, goal-driven contributions in a relaxed and fun environment”. There’s a lot of literature about work, happiness, and balance – an overflow of information – and it’s understandable that most of us don’t soak it all up. That’s why I believe it’s so important to include some variation of the work-life balance, healthy atmosphere, “hey, we don’t scream at each other here” value into your company’s culture. And then act on it consistently and enthusiastically every day.
As a millennial relatively new to the professional world, I thought I’d share my fresh-faced perspective on what this value means:
- Take your responsibilities seriously, recognizing how what you do is contributing to the success of the company
- Set personal weekly goals with your manager and align them with company goals
- Complete quality work that makes you proud of your accomplishments
- Laugh freely and actively build healthy relationships with coworkers
- Take care of yourself by taking breaks and vacation time to recharge
- Celebrate social events like birthdays and holidays as a company
The Work Hard, Chill Out dichotomy can easily sum up a healthy, fun, and productive company culture – it can definitely describe our culture at CareerPlug.
What does Work Hard, Chill Out mean in your workplace? Do you have a similar value?
For hiring and business tips follow us on Twitter @CareerPlug